Search This Blog

My Childhood Treasures Bluebell Dress

Size 4, 6 length I aim for honesty on my blog here and this is going to be a mixed review. BUT, please read carefully because I really d...

Size 4, 6 length
I aim for honesty on my blog here and this is going to be a mixed review. BUT, please read carefully because I really do like this pattern. :)

Size 4, 6 length
Today on the blog is the My Childhood Treasures Bluebell Dress. I LOVE the look and style of this dress. Sewn up in cozy fleece it is warm, fuzzy and a real treat. It comes in sizes 1-8 and has a simple to assemble style of raglan sleeve, circle skirt and hood. We own many of these because they sew up in just about an hour (maybe less if I don't get interrupted). And the twirl factor is very real here.

Size 2, 4 length
BUT (and here's where we get honest), the pattern isn't perfect. The bodice runs true to measurements which is good. The skirt length is WAY too short. Each of my kids is skinny, so I always end up sewing a smaller bodice size. My oldest was sewn up in a size 5 with 7 length. She's about the height of an average 6yo. My middle child is in a size 4 bodice with 6 length. She's an average height 5 year old. My youngest is in a size 2 bodice with a size 4 skirt. I did ok with going up a size for each of them except the youngest. Her skirt is WAY too short. This is partly my fault. I should have measured them each to check length etc. But I was in a rush to get these done so I sort of guessed that I should go up 1 size. Looking at it, I think I should have gone up 1 or 2 more sizes in the skirt. She's a pretty average 3 year old.

Size 2, 4 length
Part of the problem here is there are no length measurements included in the pattern. No height or skirt length included in the pattern anywhere. So part of this is just guessing what it should be. But a good seamstress doesn't guess. She measures and checks the pattern pieces against the body measurements. So take your time to measure the bodice and skirt length and don't be afraid to leave the skirt longer and just hem it where you need it to be.

Size 5, 7 length
So what's my suggestion here? I really like this dress. REALLY like the dress. And lengthening the skirt is a really easy fix. I don't know if there is something similar available already drafted for a fleece fabric. If there was, it might be worth trying. But knowing that I just need to lengthen the skirt each time is an easy fix for me. This isn't something that I would normally offer to customers though unless I can measure them in person. So I say its worth the risk as long as you feel capable of lengthening the skirt.
Size 4, 6 length




Size 5, 7 length



You Might Also Like

0 comments

These Reads

Analytics ( do not remove )