Search This Blog

Sewing through your grief

If you're a consistent reader, then you probably remember earlier this year when one of my uncles died. I used it as an opportunity to ...


If you're a consistent reader, then you probably remember earlier this year when one of my uncles died. I used it as an opportunity to remind you to cut the good fabric.

Sadly, I've got another one of those posts for you today. But I hope that it can bring you light.

This weekend, my uncle, who had been battling cancer passed away. It was a welcome release from the pain. It wasn't the heartbreaking shock of my other uncle. Instead it is like a layer of sadness.

When my grandmother passed away last year, I asked my mother to bring me back one of her pajamas because I wanted to make her something special. I made her a memory bear from the FREE Honey Bear Pattern from Funky Friends Factory.


Now, if you've been reading a long time, you'll know that I don't really "do" stuffed animals. I do clothing. BUT, grief makes me do things a little differently. And so, I sewed up a Honey Bear for my mother. The Honey Bear requires more than a little bit of hand sewing. I hate hand sewing. But I hand sewed every one of those stitches with love and tears. I'm quite certain that bear may be made out of just as many tears as it was stitches. And I don't regret the time and effort it took a single bit.

I can't imagine what my cousins, aunt and his grandson are going through. It must truly be heart breaking. And so I want to reach out to them with love. The best way I know to show love is sewing. So, I publicly commit to sewing up one of these bears as a reminder for them of my uncle. I will fill it with stitches and tears, just like I did for my grandmother.

And if you need to sew through your grief, go grab a free copy for yourself.

Photos are of my daughter's "Cheatie Bear" for reference to a finished product.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

These Reads

Analytics ( do not remove )