Search This Blog

Blank Slate Patterns Shoreline Boatneck, Tunic

Sometimes you come across a pattern that you just NEED to make over and over again. The Blank Slate Patterns Shoreline Boatneck is that p...


Sometimes you come across a pattern that you just NEED to make over and over again. The Blank Slate Patterns Shoreline Boatneck is that pattern for me.

This time, I'm working with quilting weight cotton and the a-line dress option. To get this pattern to fit me properly, I needed to add a 1" full bust adjustment in the form of a dart. Hard to believe, but this is my wearable muslin.

If you look carefully, you can see that the pattern has a center front seam AND one side of the front has a seam cutting it between the top and bottom. This fabric from Hobby Lobby was left over from another dress I made. But the colors are so perfect with my skin that I NEEDED it to work out. I think the fabric is busy enough that you don't notice the unusual color blocking.

Back to the dress. Somehow, I wasn't paying enough attention and put the dart point in the wrong place. It needs to go up about an inch. Even so, clearly, I added the right amount of width to get a good fit. The shoulders fit great and I only adjusted the armscye by taking length out of the upper bust.

That said, I'm still working on getting the armscye and  sleeve to work together. Its a work in progress. BUT, if I can get it to work, I'll have a VERY versatile pattern for all of my sewing ideas. The solution may be to leave the armscye but still shorten the bodice above the bust.

This a-line shape is super flattering and does a great job hiding body imperfections, while still being slim enough to have nice shaping. A fabric other than quilting cotton (what this is) would drape a little nicer, but I like the firmer a-line shape as it gives the impression that I have more hips and butt than I actually do.

You will notice this pattern needs ZERO back closures when you make it this way. That makes it a SUPER fast sew.

I played with the boat neckline a bit and added a small notch. I like the idea over all, but definitely need to plan a larger notch. The pattern includes a neckline facing, so I didn't have to change much up here.

Overall, I'm really happy with this muslin. I'll make the one bust dart adjustment and I'll definitely make another.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This is a nice and simple tunic that you have stitched. The cut is simple and easy while it looks really sleek and smart to wear. Kindly also share its pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally link back to the patterns I've used. I'm sorry I didn't. This is the Blank Slate Shoreline Boatneck. You can find it here: https://blankslatepatterns.com/collections/women/products/shoreline-boatneck

      Delete

These Reads

Analytics ( do not remove )