Search This Blog

Grammie's Dolls Abrams Quilted Vest

It feels so good to be back helping with testing. These deadlines are helping me stay focused! Today I have the Grammie's Dolls Abrams...

It feels so good to be back helping with testing. These deadlines are helping me stay focused!

Today I have the Grammie's Dolls Abrams Quilted Vest. This quilted vest is available in sizes 1-10 and 2 different views, either a curved hem or button hem. Better yet, its on sale for just $2.99 until Friday!





If you regularly read my blog, you've probably noticed that my eldest likes layers and especially vests. I've done the Pathfinder from Twig and Tale AND the Peekaboo Pattern Shop Great Outdoors Reversible Vest as reviews. So I'm sure you're probably wondering why I would even volunteer to test yet another layer.

Reason #1- I needed a deadline
Reason #2- I know that Grammie's Dolls always forces me to sew in a way "outside of my comfort zone."

So deadlines are self explanatory. But what is the big skill I worked on this time? This time was bias tape. I've never used bias tape to cover seams that were meant to be shown but I think I may be hooked! This looks super fancy and once you figure out how to lay out the bias tape, it goes pretty fast.

But more importantly than being fancy, it means the vest can be 100% reversible. I did not make the vest reversible, but if you want to, just buy a reversible zipper. that's the only change you'll want to make.
I had two challenges with this pattern. #1- I don't have a walking foot for this machine. I mucked through it, but it would have been WAY better with a walking foot. The only walking foot I had was for a machine I don't own anymore. I have added a "walking foot" to my Christmas list. A tiny hint, if you've got flannel on one side and woven on the other, try sewing it with one or the other on the bottom. My machine fed more evenly with the flannel on the bottom.

#2- I was not patient with my bias tape on the edges. So even though this pattern should involve ZERO hand sewing, I got stuck hand sewing anyway. Blah. I could/should have picked out my stitches and tried again, but remember, deadline.

So, I've learned a new sewing technique and while my daughter doesn't love the color of the first vest, we've got big plans for future ones.

Ideas for your consideration:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

These Reads

Analytics ( do not remove )