Search This Blog

Patterns for Pirates Take the Plunge Swimsuit

Spring (yes, it is still mostly spring here) means lots of outdoor projects, before the summer heat really sets in. So today's post has ...

Spring (yes, it is still mostly spring here) means lots of outdoor projects, before the summer heat really sets in. So today's post has ZERO modeled photos. Sorry for the inconvenience. I also have not yet finished my Patterns for Pirates Take the Plunge Swimsuit, but I don't want you to miss the release sale if you were waiting for an unbiased review.

So, let's get to it.

The TTP (Take the Plunge) is NOT a pattern for weenies or newbies. And it is clearly rated an "Intermediate" pattern on the site. You could make it as a newbie, but it is going to take a LOT of careful work. Even I had to walk through it page by page for the instructions.

This pattern has several back options but does not hand hold you through which pieces you will need for each, so be sure to take your time and look at each piece carefully. The pattern pieces are carefully listed on each pattern piece, so if you print the entire pattern pieces, you will have all the info you need.

The size chart includes a trunk girth measurement which is essential for getting a one piece swimsuit to fit. I found that my girth fit just fine within my size Large top blended to a small bottom. I like P4P because I don't have to deal with bust adjustments. I used a size medium waistband and just gently stretched each of the pieces to fit together. I skipped taking my "crotch length" measurement, so ended up with a bodice that was a touch too long and a bottom that was a touch too short. If I had removed/added just 1/2" on each side, the fit would have been perfect.

The back bottom piece has an unusual shape for where the front and back connect at the crotch. It is not very clear where each piece should line up. I prefer a more precise, trued intersection. However, this curved shape does help the bottoms hug your butt, which makes for a nice shape. ;)

All in all, it took me 3 hours to create my muslin. 3! I tried skipping some of the instructions and ended up with a date with my seam ripper. <sigh> There are no short cuts for fitting this garment on the top. You really have to do all of the lining and elastics to ensure that what you see is what you will get.

My muslin probably will be wearable once I finish, but I will definitely be making a few adjustments if I sew this again. Adjustments I'd plan-
-Lengthen the bottoms and shorten the tops to help line up a little better with my body measurements.
-Tighten the underbust elastic substantially. The elastics I have on hand tend to be lighter weight (despite being true swim elastic). I definitely need a firmer underbust elastic, or my bust will attempt to slip down to my waistband.
-True up the crotch seam. This is more a me thing, than a huge pattern problem. But I like things to be very clear. Especially if I get an idea late at night when I'm most likely to make mistakes.

I apologize again for not having modeled photos. All in all, I say, if you like the new P4P suit, go for it. Wrap bodices are very flattering on many body types and the measurement chart has enough information to give you a good place to start. You should have a wearable muslin from your first attempt, although you may decide to make adjustments after.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

These Reads

Analytics ( do not remove )