Search This Blog

Made For Mermaids Mama Joy and the Importance of Shoes

You may have noticed my recent love for Made For Mermaids. You could look back at my multiple versions of the Mama Claire, the newer Mama ...

You may have noticed my recent love for Made For Mermaids. You could look back at my multiple versions of the Mama Claire, the newer Mama Isabel and the Mama Ella. So when I tell you I made the Mama Joy and really like it, I'm sure you won't be surprised.

So the Mama Joy is is peplum or dress with multiple skirt lengths. There are 3 sleeve options and is NOT drafted for sleeveless. It includes instructions for a gathered OR pleated skirt and optional zipper back.

Made For Mermaids drafts for a B sewing cup and 5'6" height, so obviously, I had to make some adjustments. I started by comparing my sizing. Blue for my shoulders, Indigo for bust and waist and Purple Hips. Because the skirt has a loose fit, I went with the skirt that best matched my waist (Indigo). Even though Indigo was my bust size, I hate pivot and slide for blending, especially in the armscye. So I did a full bust adjustment using slash and spread.

My pattern adjustments include:
-Remove 1/2" at armscye
-Remove 1" at natural waist.
-Start with Blue shoulders.
-Make 2" Full Bust adjustment
-Blend waist in to match Indigo waist.

You don't really need a full run down of what I did, because it was my standard adjustments. Everything fit fine based on those. I used the french Terry from Simply By Ti with scraps of rayon spandex for the pockets (YAY POCKETS). My yellow tights are the same yellow rayon spandex made using The Wolf and the Tree Gazelle Tights. I have also made a Joy maxi with a gathered skirt. I'll photograph that some day for you. But for reference, pleats are more flattering for me than gathers.

One little tip. If you are making pockets and you don't want them to show, use a 1/4" seam allowance when you add your pocket. Press the whole pocket out towards the side seam and top stitch. Then when you take the 3/8+" seam allowance, your pocket will be recessed into the seam and it won't show as much.

Things that do matter? SHOES. So many people sew something up and then write it off because it didn't turn out quite how they expected. Or only ever wear a dress one way without even considering how shoes make a difference. So, for your viewing pleasure, my Joy Dress with flat sandals, heeled sandals, and heeled booties. Same dress, 3 different looks and all I changed was the shoes (and added tights for the booties). Remember flats make your legs shorter. I have plenty of leg, so no need to worry about making them shorter.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

These Reads

Analytics ( do not remove )